Fab Habitat has an amazing line of beautiful, eco-friendly, and environmentally sustainable options for rugs, small storage furniture, and pillows made from recycled materials. Their largest rug, made from 100% recycled plastic, uses the equivalent of 666 plastic bottles!
They sell products made of 100% recycled plastic (we have a rug from that line, more about it below), softer rugs made from 100% recycled plastic bottles, rugs made of 100% recycled cotton, and environmentally friendly jute rugs, among other items. We have been using this particular rug (slightly smaller version) pictured below as a patio rug out back of our house. It is made from 100% recycled plastic, is durable and perfect for a patio, mud room, kids play room, or some other high traffic area. It has sat outside in an area that is prone to mold but it has held up well, picking up little to no mold.
It is very washable, just hose it off or if necessary, scrub with a hard bristle brush. The material feels plastic-y, so I wouldn’t use this in my living room (though other reviewers seemed to use it inside). I think it could also work as a rug for an area where you expect high traffic or need something very durable. As mentioned, Fab Habitat has other eco-friendly rugs made from recycled cotton that are likely much softer, we are excited to try those out soon (I’ll update this post after the testing period is over).They also have rugs made from recycled water bottles, which I know from experience can be transformed into very soft material. I look forward to trying more of their products in the near future.Although there is limited info on the site about how to dispose of the rugs, it seems very likely that you can throw the 100% recycled plastic rug in the recycling can when done with them (though they seem very durable and will likely last a long time).Fab Habitat isn’t especially notable on social responsibility. They are certified by Good Weave, a non-profit that ensures child labor is not used in the supply chain, which is commendable.The site also mentions some charitable interests, but they are not a B Corporation nor do they have much information about their environmental or social impact. And as mentioned, Fab Habitat doesn’t provide much info on disposing of their products nor does it seem like they’ll take them back at the end of their life to be repurposed.
Brand: Fab Habitat
Color: Cancun – Multicolor
- 100% RECYCLED PREMIUM PLASTIC our eco-friendly rugs are tightly woven, for added durability, from straws made up of recycled plastic. Strong and hard-wearing but soft and comfortable underfoot. The power loomed threads are woven with skill and precision. Actual colors and size may vary from the image(s) shown due to manufacturing limitations.
- MOLD & MILDEW RESISTANT, UV RESISTANT TO PREVENT FADING and sun damage, these multi-functional rugs won’t cause damage to your lawn or decking. They are also practical for indoor use, spills will just wipe clean. Comes with a one year warranty. Easy to take care of, just shake or hose off for easy cleaning. The manufacturer recommends using a non-skid pad beneath the rug (pad not included).
- REVERSIBLE, INDOOR/OUTDOOR USE our rugs are constructed to withstand the outdoor elements all year round. Equally they will be right at home in the interior of your home, with many versatile designs to choose from. These rugs are reversible allowing you to have two different looks in a matter of seconds.
- JUTE CARRIER BAG with shoulder strap included, making the rug portable and easy to transport for beach trips, camping or picnics. Jute Bag not included with 2.5ft, 3ft, 8ft & 9ft rugs.
- GOODWEAVE CERTIFIED our rugs are made by adult hands, never those of children, we partner with Goodweave to certify our rugs are child-labor-free.
Publisher: Fab Habitat
Details: The classic striped pattern of the Cancun rug makes it easy to incorporate into any room, while the array of vibrant hues makes it a best seller. The multicolored straws are carefully blended together to create a unique pattern every time. These beautifully crafted rugs are made following the fair trade principles. Fab Rugs add a touch of elegance to your home decor. They are made using premium quality recycled plastic straws which are tightly woven together to offer strength, softness and beauty. Being plastic, moisture will have no effect on the mat and it will not attract mildew.