Stay Clean and Beautiful...Zero Waste-Style with Ethique Eco-Friendly Conditioner Bar
Shampoo and conditioner in bar form!? Cut out another source of plastic in your house with this high quality conditioner from New Zealand.
I am now a convert to this zero waste life hack. I don't think I will ever buy my shampoo or conditioner in a plastic bottle again.
If you want to read a more thorough review of Ethique and why they are a great company to support, I have a longer review here. Or continue on for shorter review below.
The conditioner comes in a little bar that fits in the palm of your hand. Just get it wet, like by cupping your hands to pool some water, then run it over your hair a few times. Rub it all around and you are all set, basically the same experience as liquid conditioner. It also seems like it will last a long time since it has barely shrunk (I'll report back later on that).
It comes in a small cardboard box that can be tossed in the compost, or recycled if you have not embraced the astounding efficiency and minimal waste of composting (read about how composting changed my life). I traded some emails with the Ethique folks to inquire about whether they considered using recycled cardboard. They gave a very thoughtful answer. The short version is they found that using it was a toss-up in terms of environmental impact if they sourced the paper from sustainably managed forests, as well as used eco-friendly materials such as soy ink and clay coating. Their answer suggests the company takes their environmental sustainability seriously.
In fact, Ethique points out how transformative switching to shampoo and conditioner in bar form can be. Besides ridding your house of another source of plastic, it has many other benefits. Ethique's products are completely vegan, which is good for our little furry friends.
Also, vegan ingredients avoid animal-based agriculture, which is a big source of climate-changing gases. One conditioner bar also saves almost 34 ounces of water since your typical conditioner is 90% water (shocking, right?).
Ethique seems to walk the walk, so very low chance of greenwashing here. They are a carbon neutral company since they offset their carbon emissions. They are also working towards becoming a zero waste office, recycling or composting all their office waste. They also give generously to charity, with 20% of profits going to various charitable groups.
This produce kicks butt on our sustainability checklist:
- Shipped in compost-ready cardboard, this is a great zero waste option for your house.
- Ethique is a environmentally-minded and ethical company that is doing business the right way, including donating 20% of their profits to charity each year.
- You get the equivalent of 3 bottles of shampoo/conditioner in a bar due to the high water content in liquid versions, so the price is reasonable and the product is very high quality.
P.S. - Shampoo and conditioner bars are also super convenient for traveling since you can put them in your carry-on bags and no worrying about spillage on your clothes.
- Containing lots of Cocoa butter, Coconut Oil, Vitamin B5 and zesty lime oil it will tame your frizz, hydrate dry hair and make your hair look smooth and lush (it won't repair your hair, it is impossible to repair something that is dead.) The Guardian can also be used as a shaving bar or an in shower moisturiser.
- Safe for colour treated hair
- Deeply hydrating for dry and/or damaged hair
- Equivalent to 5 bottles of liquid conditioner
- Cruelty-Free, Eco-Friendly, TSA Friendly, Compostable
Details: The Guardian was created for those people who suffer from very dry, very damaged or frizzy hair.
Package Dimensions: 2.0 x 2.0 x 1.0 inches